Top things a person will need if they find themselves homeless. A good paying job, nutrition, a place to get adequate rest, friend & family support, quality healthcare, a place to expel human excrement, and finally a house. Below are real life solutions with community support and sponsors that can help people without homes.
This is how we helped M & MJ. They were recently living in their vehicle for about 3 months, & it took us 5 months to find them a affordable apartment while MJ worked & M found answers at Phoenix Huntsville who identified her as unemployable helping her to focus on getting disability. We had the help of all listed below as well as constant communication to make sure they are safe & well.
They are currently living in an apartment complex dreaming of living in the countryside again, & MJ is working at a fantastic "dream job" with great benefits. They mention all the time how eternally grateful they are to everyone's help.
3 step process: Perfect for friends & family members
1) Vet an individual to build trust & connect with reliable sources.
2) Build a community of passionate people to help people out of homelessness.
3) Maintain relationship with necessary education & support.
The vetting process | Must be:
Welcoming, safe housing
This can be in the form of a:
A good paying job
Complimentary Food Pantry
Homeless Solutions by Category
- Only help those who you can help & will accept your help, & please be sure to listen to them.
- Locker boxes, picture ID's, showers, RX refills, & laundry services found at First Stop.
- Missing birth certificates & coordinated assessment please contact NACH located on the 2nd floor of the Huntsville - Madison Library.
- Be sure to be knowledgeable in established organizations to properly help individuals & support those organizations.
- Be certified in Mental Health First Aid. It's worth knowing to truly understand people in crisis. Check out SPEAK local & complimentary mental health text services.
- Help sponsor your friend-family reach money goals. Go over their finances together if they're comfortable & figure out how they can be helped other than already existing complimentary locations. Do they need $40/ day? Help them reach that goal by paying them fair wages for work.
- Housing can also be in the form of room mates, weatherproof camper, mother in laws, & apartment complex's.
- For Veterans visit Stand Down Together
- For those without homes & addicted visit Samhsa.gov
Cortney Sloan Owner of North Alabama's Eco Business, Panacea: Feng Shui & Medical Massage.